Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction
Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) courses offered through the CMHA, Winnipeg Region office:
MBSR is an approach to self-care that can assist in managing stress, pain and illness. The practice of meditation is used to help people learn to focus awareness on body sensations, thoughts, and emotions in a nonjudgmental way. Through this practice, a person is given the opportunity to explore their inner world of mind/body, recognize and mobilize their inner psychological resources and take better care of the self.
The course is modeled on the program developed by Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn at the Stress Reduction Clinic at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center
The course consists of eight weekly classes and one day-long class on a Saturday. It is designed to introduce Mindfulness practice as a way of reducing stress and developing greater balance, control, and fuller participation in your life. Mindfulness is a way of learning to relate directly to whatever is happening in your life, including the challenges of stress, pain, illness and everyday demands.
In the course, you will practice skills to improve your ability to let go of the past, worry less about your future, and live more fully in the present. The course includes guided mindfulness meditations and mindful stretching/movement. All instruction is modified for each individual's needs. You are provided with daily assignments contained in two guided meditation CDs and weekly handouts.
Courses are taught by trained instructors with backgrounds in Family and
Marriage Therapy, Social Work, and Recreational Therapy.
Cost (8 week course): $400.00 and a sliding scale based on income. Click here to access the MBSR brochure with sliding scale rates. Courses may
be covered by some insurance providers (ask your health benefit provider for
coverage details of social work services).
CMHA Winnipeg Region is often contacted by persons interested in becoming an MBSR instructor. The road to becoming an instructor is a lengthy process that takes a great deal of development. CMHA Winnipeg Region works with MBSR Ottawa utilizing the process outlined here. CMHA Winnipeg Region will not be offering any practicums or mentorships in the 2013-2014 year. For further information on training through the Centre for Mindfulness click here.
Taking an MBSR Course in Winnipeg
- CMHA Winnipeg Region offers 3-4 of the 8 week MBSR courses per year that are open to the public. To access the brochure for CMHA Winnipeg MBSR courses, click here.
- To add your name to receive notification of upcoming MBSR courses, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CMHA Winnipeg Region can also arrange for closed MBSR courses for organizations who wish to offer it on site. For more information on arranging a course for your site contact Nicole Chammartin at email@example.com or 982-6103. Click here to access a fee schedule for closed MBSR courses offered at the CMHA Winnipeg. If you are interested in hosting a MBSR course in the workplace, the CMHA Winnipeg Region has produce a commonly asked questions sheet to answer basic questions.
Graduates of Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) are invited to join group meetings held at 2 dates and locations monthly by the MBSR partners:
1) Nurse's Parlor at St. Boniface Hospital - sponsored by the Catholic Health Corporation. We continue to offer a monthly practice on the second Wednesday of every month from 6:00-7:30 pm beginning September 11, 2013. We’ve entitled it “Continuing the Journey: Supporting the Practice of MBSR Graduates”. All graduates of any MBSR program in the city are welcome to attend. Details can be found by accessing the poster here.
2) CMHA Winnipeg Region (930 Portage Ave.). Held the fourth Wednesday of every month from 5:00 - 6:00 PM (excluding December). Click here to access the poster for more information.
To receive reminder notices and updates for these groups please email firstname.lastname@example.org and request to be added to the notification list.
- Persons who are board members or employed within any of the communities of service sponsored by the Catholic Health Corporation of Manitoba (including St. Boniface Hospital) are invited to participate in courses through this organization. For further information contact Dawn MacDonald, Coordinator, Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction St. Boniface Hospital Catholic Health Corporation of Manitoba email@example.com or (204) 235-3700.
- Courses are also offered occasionally through the University of Winnipeg Continuing Education for more information http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/index/dce-community_programs
- Courses in Winnipeg are also offered by Klinic Community Health Centre. For more information, contact Terry Wilson at 784-4068 or Chris Willette at 784-4042. Information is also available on the Klinic website at: www.klinic.mb.ca/balance.htm
Upcoming CMHA Winnipeg Region courses:
- Please click here to visit our registration page for upcoming courses.
Other upcoming MBSR courses in Winnipeg and surrounding area:
- Reh-fit Centre - The CMHA Winnipeg Region is very excited to be partnering with the Reh-Fit Centre to be offering the very popular Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) program at their site. Thursday October 17 – December 5, 6:00 – 8:30 p.m. Click here to access the Reh-Fit Centre’s Fall 2013 guide for information and registration details.
- Oak Bluff - Please click here to access the poster for more information about this new MBSR course being offered.
Upcoming Klinic MBSR courses include:
- Visit www.klinic.mb.ca/balance.htm for current information on Klinic MBSR courses.
Klinic also offers free meditation sessions on Tuesdays, during the noon hour, 12:00-1:00, and free qi gong sessions on Fridays, 1:00-2:00 pm at our Portage location. These practice sessions are open to the community, no registration required. www.klinic.mb.ca/balance.htm
If you have an MBSR program you are offering in Winnipeg let us know! firstname.lastname@example.org.
Graduates of June 2011 MBSR retreat
MBSR Instructors - group photo from May 2010 Silent Retreat
Other MBSR News/Information/Resources:
Dr. Steven Hick, the director of MBSR Ottawa, was a key speaker for the launch event of Mental Health Week in 2008. Dr. Hick delivered a public education event called "Mindfulness and being in the moment... the key to positive mental health." Video of the event has been separated into three parts and can be accessed through the following links (the video files are in Adobe Flash format):
- Mindfulness and being in the moment - Part One.
- 117 mB
- Mindfulness and being in the moment - Part Two.
- 104 mB
- Mindfulness and being in the moment - Part Three.
- 65 mB
A selection of Dr. Hick's guided meditations are available below as mp3 files:
- Listen to or download the Body Scan guided meditation.
- 84 mB
- Listen to or download a Guided Meditation.
- 82 mB
- Listen to or download Yoga Series 1
- 68 mB
- Listen to or download Yoga Series 2 - 82 mB
MBSR Links of Interest: