Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction
Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) courses offered through the CMHA, Winnipeg Region office:
MBSR is an approach to self-care that can assist in managing stress, pain and illness. The practice of meditation is used to help people learn to focus awareness on body sensations, thoughts, and emotions in a nonjudgmental way. Through this practice, a person is given the opportunity to explore their inner world of mind/body, recognize and mobilize their inner psychological resources and take better care of the self.
The course is modeled on the program developed by Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn at the Stress Reduction Clinic at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center
The course consists of eight weekly classes and one day-long class on a Saturday. It is designed to introduce Mindfulness practice as a way of reducing stress and developing greater balance, control, and fuller participation in your life. Mindfulness is a way of learning to relate directly to whatever is happening in your life, including the challenges of stress, pain, illness and everyday demands.
In the course, you will practice skills to improve your ability to let go of the past, worry less about your future, and live more fully in the present. The course includes guided mindfulness meditations and mindful stretching/movement. All instruction is modified for each individual's needs. You are provided with daily assignments contained in two guided meditation CDs and weekly handouts.
Courses are taught by trained instructors with backgrounds in Family and
Marriage Therapy, Social Work, and Recreational Therapy.
Cost (8 week course): $400.00 and a sliding scale based on income. Click here to access the MBSR brochure with sliding scale rates. Courses may
be covered by some insurance providers (ask your health benefit provider for
coverage details of social work services).
CMHA Winnipeg Region is often contacted by persons interested in becoming an MBSR instructor. The road to becoming an instructor is a lengthy process that takes a great deal of development. CMHA Winnipeg Region works with MBSR Ottawa utilizing the process outlined here. For more information on engaging in this process you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Taking an MBSR Course in Winnipeg
CMHA Winnipeg Region is committed to developing MBSR in Winnipeg and offers regular retreats for teacher development (usually annually in the spring).
- CMHA Winnipeg Region offers 3-4 of the 8 week MBSR courses per year that are open to the public. To access the brochure for CMHA Winnipeg MBSR courses, click here.
- To add your name to receive notification of upcoming MBSR courses, email: email@example.com.
- CMHA Winnipeg Region can also arrange for closed MBSR courses for organizations who wish to offer it on site. For more information on arranging a course for your site contact Nicole Chammartin at firstname.lastname@example.org or 982-6103. Click here to access a fee schedule for closed MBSR courses offered at the CMHA Winnipeg. If you are interested in hosting a MBSR course in the workplace, the CMHA Winnipeg Region has produce a commonly asked questions sheet to answer basic questions.
- CMHA Winnipeg Region will offer to graduates of Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) a monthly group meeting at Nurse's Parlor (St. Boniface Hospital). For details on the August, 2012 - June, 2013 meetings, see the following poster: August 2012 - June, 2013.
- CMHA Winnipeg Region will offer to graduates of Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) a monthly meditation practice group. For details on the November 2012 to June 2013 meetings, see the following poster: November 2012 - June 2013.
- Persons who are board members or employed within any of the communities of service sponsored by the Catholic Health Corporation of Manitoba (including St. Boniface Hospital) are invited to participate in courses through this organization. For further information contact Dawn MacDonald, Coordinator, Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction St. Boniface Hospital Catholic Health Corporation of Manitoba email@example.com or (204) 235-3700.
- Courses are also offered occasionally through the University of Winnipeg Continuing Education for more information http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/index/dce-community_programs
- Courses in Winnipeg are also offered by Klinic Community Health Centre. For more information, contact Terry Wilson at 784-4068 or Chris Willette at 784-4042. Information is also available on the Klinic website at: www.klinic.mb.ca/balance.htm
Upcoming CMHA Winnipeg Region courses:
- There are currently no courses available at this time.
Upcoming Catholic Health Corporation of Manitoba courses:
MBSR 7 day silent retreat: May 13 - May 19, 2013. The Catholic Health Corporation is hosting an upcoming retreat with Melissa Blacker and Tim Burnett. For more information on this 7 day silent retreat to deepen your practice please click here. To register, you can access the form here.
Upcoming Klinic MBSR courses include:
- Visit www.klinic.mb.ca/balance.htm for current information on Klinic MBSR courses.
Klinic also offers free meditation sessions on Tuesdays, during the noon hour, 12:00-1:00, and free qi gong sessions on Fridays, 1:00-2:00 pm at our Portage location. These practice sessions are open to the community, no registration required. www.klinic.mb.ca/balance.htm
If you have an MBSR program you are offering in Winnipeg let us know! firstname.lastname@example.org.
Graduates of June 2011 MBSR retreat
MBSR Instructors - group photo from May 2010 Silent Retreat
Other MBSR News/Information/Resources:
Dr. Steven Hick, the director of MBSR Ottawa, was a key speaker for the launch event of Mental Health Week in 2008. Dr. Hick delivered a public education event called "Mindfulness and being in the moment... the key to positive mental health." Video of the event has been separated into three parts and can be accessed through the following links (the video files are in Adobe Flash format):
- Mindfulness and being in the moment - Part One.
- 117 mB
- Mindfulness and being in the moment - Part Two.
- 104 mB
- Mindfulness and being in the moment - Part Three.
- 65 mB
A selection of Dr. Hick's guided meditations are available below as mp3 files:
- Listen to or download the Body Scan guided meditation.
- 84 mB
- Listen to or download a Guided Meditation.
- 82 mB
- Listen to or download Yoga Series 1
- 68 mB
- Listen to or download Yoga Series 2 - 82 mB
A selection of Susan Claire Johnson's guided meditations are available below as mp3 files:
MBSR Links of Interest: