Media contact information, press releases, CMHA National public service announcements, and other helpful resources are also available here for journalists to access easily.
New Guidelines for Reporting on Mental Illness
Please click here to access new guidelines for reporting on mental illness provided by the Associated Press.
Managing Back to School Stress
CMHA Winnipeg Region and partners including the Manitoba Psychological Society issued a press release on managing back to school stress in your kids.
Building Futures Initiative Announced
Increase the Rental Allowance Update
The Province of Manitoba will deliver Budget 2013 on April 16th. Make Poverty History Manitoba, a coalition of over 145 organizations from across the Province (including CMHA Winnipeg Region), will be listening closely for the announcement of an increase in the Rental Allowance to 75% of median market rent. Read more in the press release about why this matters.
Federal Funding Announcement for CMHA Winnipeg Region
CMHA Winnipeg is pleased to announce a significant investment from the Federal Government in our new facility. Please click here to access the full press release.
Mental Health Community Expresses Concern with Proposed NCRMD Changes
CMHA has joined with several national organizations to express their concerns with new proposed legislation for non-criminally responsible persons. For more information follow this link to the media release.
Heroes of Mental Health Awards 2012 - CMHA Winnipeg Region announces 34 nominees for our 2012 Heroes Awards
Election Platform Strategy from CMHA
The Canadian Mental Health Association Manitoba Division, in collaboration with all six Regional Offices across the Province of Manitoba, have developed a comprehensive Provincial Election Platform Strategy entitled “It’s Time to Change our Minds”. Click here to access the press release and report.
Rising to the Challenge: A strategic plan for the mental health and well-being of Manitobans. The Province of Manitoba has released its mental health strategic plan. This 6-point strategic plan is aimed at improving the mental health of Manitobans by addressing: mental health and well being; access to services; innovation and research; social inclusion; family participation; and workforce development. Click here to access the full report.
Preventing Mental Health From Slipping Through the Cracks - Click here to access an article from The Metro Community Newspaper about the CMHA Winnipeg Region's new building and upcoming move.
Thank you to the following Organizations for their generous support:
- Winnipeg Foundation, $100,000
- Neighbourhoods Alive, $50,000
- Caisse, $5,000
Thank you to all of you that participated in and or sponsored our Wellness-a-thon Saturday June 11th! We raised over $8,000 towards our capital campaign! A special thanks to our event sponsors Assiniboine Credit Union, Inn at the Forks, Winnipeg Free Press, CBC Live Right Now, Montage Design, Be Yoga, and Beth Martens Yoga. As well as our many vendors and supporters including: Tom Boy Tools, Bijou Jewelry, Quinella, Kim Malchuk, Friday the poodle, Lulu Lemon, Jenny Martins (Massage), and Bodhi Therapeutic Body Works.
CMHA Winnipeg Region Grand Opening - October 1, 2012. The joint Manitoba Government/CMHA Winnipeg Region press release for the CMHA Winnipeg Grand Opening can be accessed here. The Government of Canada press release for the CMHA Winnipeg Grand Opening can be accessed here.
News Release - April 30, 2012: CMHA and the Chamber of Commerce bring leaders together to talk about the business of mental health
The Canadian Mental Health Association, Winnipeg Region (CMHAW) in collaboration with the Manitoba Chambers of Commerce is hosting a luncheon in support of National Mental Health Week on May 3, 2012 at the Fort Garry Hotel from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Certified speaking professional and author Deri Latimer is the keynote speaker. Click Here to access the full news release.
Heroes of Mental Health Awards 2011
- Heroes of Mental Health award recipients named. Click here to access the press release.
- Click here to access an article from the Herald community newspaper regarding the Hero Award for Louis Riel School Division.
- Click here to access an article from the Lance community newspaper regarding the Heroes of Mental Health awards
- A Conference Board of Canada report, Building Mentally Healthy Workplaces, was released by the on Monday (June 20, 2011) based on a national survey of more than 1,000 employees — including almost 500 front-line managers. Click here to access a news article on the report from the CBC website. Click here to access an audio interview with David Newman, a CMHA Winnipeg Region board member commenting on the report. To access the CMHA Winnipeg Region press release on this report, click here.
- CMHA encouraged by Mental-Health Court - Winnipeg, MB, June 8, 2011 – The Canadian Mental Health Association of Winnipeg is encouraged to see the Province’s $600,000 investment to establish a Mental-Health Court in Winnipeg that will work with accused whose mental-health issues are contributing to their criminal behaviour. Click here to access the full press release.
- March 1, 2011. It's Time to Talk About Mental Health - Join the Conversation. Click here to access the press release.
- The Canadian Mental Health Association Offers Ten Tips for Holiday Peace of Mind. Click here to access the news release and tips.
- Winnipeggers Share their thoughts on Mental Health - CMHA Winnipeg Region reveals results of Winnipeg wide survey on mental health issues. The report was released at the CMHA Winnipeg Region Annual General Meeting on June 9, 2010 and is now available online at www.cmhawpg.mb.ca/CMHAreports.htm. For more information, please call 982-6100. Click here to access the media release.
- May, 2010 - "Sandwich Generation" at-risk of serious mental health problems. The CMHA National office and Desjardins Financial Security issued a press release based on the Desjardins Financial Security National Survey on Canadian Health. Click here to access the press release.
CMHA encouraged by Mental-Health Court - Winnipeg, MB, June 8, 2011 – The Canadian Mental Health Association of Winnipeg is encouraged to see the Province’s $600,000 investment to establish a Mental-Health Court in Winnipeg that will work with accused whose mental-health issues are contributing to their criminal behaviour. Click here to access the full press release.
For Mental Health Week in May of 2010, Nicole Chammartin (CMHA Winnipeg Region Executive Director), was interviewed on CJOB. Click here to access the interview.
A report, commissioned by the Public Interest Law Centre of Legal Aid Manitoba on behalf of CMHA Manitoba Division and the Manitoba Schizophrenia Society, titled “Examination of Employment and Income Assistance and Private Market Housing Affordability for Single Persons in Six Urban Centres in Manitoba, was released on Wednesday, March 31, 2010. Click here to view the press release for this report. Click here to access the report.
March 15th 2010 Media Awareness Event on Suicide and Mental Illness Reporting: Click here to access guidelines developed by the Canadian Psychiatric Association discussed at this event. See also the guidelines developed by the Mental Health Literacy Network for mental health reporting on this page.
Suggested guidelines for media reporting on mental health. CMHA Winnipeg, collaborating with CMHA Manitoba Division, the Manitoba Psychological Society and Manitoba Schizophrenia Society has updated media guidelines based on existing guidelines developed by The Mental Health Literacy Network to advance a balanced and accurate reporting of mental health issues. Click here to access the suggested guidelines. For media enquiries, local mental health organizations and agencies contact information can found in this document. For CMHA Winnipeg Region media enquiries, contact Nicole Chammartin - Executive Director: 982-6100, email@example.com.
Mental Health Statistics
Learn more about mental health and view the latest Canadian mental health statistics. This information has been compiled by the CMHA National office.
- Fast Facts: Mental Health and Mental Illness
This is an updated version of "Mental Health and Mental Illness in Canada: Facts and Figures."
- Facts about Mental Illness in Youth
This document contains facts about Mental Illness in Youth.
- Questions & Answers
This document contains answers to frequently asked questions about mental health, as well as questions and answers about this year's theme.
Public Service Announcements
Audio, video and print versions of the latest CMHA National Office public service announcements are available for download. To access these resources, click here to visit the CMHA National website.